Monday, August 13, 2012

1950s Inspired, Please Hold the Nostalgia!

My personal aesthetic is inspired by 1950s sophistication and beauty of women's attire:
full skirts, cardis, gloves, and pumps (although the Afro is a decade too early). I have conflicted feelings about "vintage," because Georgia in the 1950s was hardly a time to be blindly romanticizing fashion. However, I'll spare y'all for now and save the social implications for another post...


I always find the most amazing inspiration at: 

The Outfit Details:
Dress: Handmade (by Me) 
(using a Simplicity pattern that is unfortunately discontinued 
and Brother & Sister brand fabric I purchased at Hobby Lobby  )
Cardigan: The Limited
Sweater Clip: Vintage (via Etsy)
Gloves: David's Bridal
Hair Accessory: Old Navy
Shoes: BCBGeneration


8 comments:

  1. You did a wonderful job on the dress and you look fabulous! I am a big fan of women's style of the 1950's as well. You definitely rocked this look ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :)
      Mid-century dressing was definitely an art! By the way I live your Rockabilly Pinterest board. It's great inspiration.

      Delete
  2. I couldn't wait for you to start posting again!!! Love it, Bethy!!!!

    Kui

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your outfit. So glad that your back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Elizabeth, I googled 1950s clothing for black people for inspiration because I would really love the fashion from this area. Came across your picture and you look so feminine and beautiful. I'm going to have to find me some dresses like yours now as you've converted me to change my style. Thank you for your post :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you enjoyed this post! When I don't have time to make dresses myself, I shop at eShakti.com. They have a lot of vintage inspired dresses to choose from.

      Delete

I l♥ve to hear from my readers:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...