Monday, October 24, 2011

RESPECT THE WISDOM OF THE ‘FRO

I’m supposed to be taking a year off of grad school to rest & rejuvenate. I’m scratching my head, because I don’t think it’s happening. It’s so not happening!

I promised myself I’d go to a Yoga retreat this year in Atlanta -- it’s come and gone.
The spa trip I’ve been planning for months…
The weekend at Lake Oconee…
The hiking in North Georgia…
The membership to Yoga Moga
And meditation classes…
The pink Schwinn cruiser…

Who inspired this sudden epiphany? Two women with the most magical afros that I’ve ever seen (besides my Mum's) – Tracee Ellis Ross and Michaela Angela Davis.



My long lost girlfriend, Tracee Ellis Ross revealed in an interview that after Girlfriends she was able “to do all the other things that fill (her) well” (Jet 10.10/17.2011, 21). I read that sentence at least five times because I didn't get it – really.  As a military wife, my husband’s core values became my own: Service before self makes self care almost impossible.

[On a side note, I love how Ross incorporates the realities of military life in her projects. I will always remember Joan kidnapping Aaron to flee to Mexico to escape his deployment. Helen’s phone call with her son in Afghanistan last week was such a sweet moment and I’m eager to see if Dr. Carla Reed can intervene in any of Helen’s residual trauma.]



And then came the Tweet from @MADvison (22 October 2011):  
“Self Care is not self indulgent, Self Destruction is. This has been my recent deep consideration. Care for self with stillness, wholesome food, prayer, excellent medical, emotional, physical attention, are soul/love based. Learning addictions, obsessions, resistance are so ego/fear rooted. How do you self care & self indulge?” 
I sat holding my Blackberry thinking too hard about a question that I already had the answer to…


TO BE CONTINUED



No comments:

Post a Comment

I l♥ve to hear from my readers:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...