Monday, November 28, 2011

The Heart of the (Gray) Matter: The Aftermath of Black Friday


The Buyological Urge, Adbusters Media Foundation
Various media outlets offered compelling calls to action for consumers to avoid materialism and encourage a level of consciousness on black Friday that would keep consumers aware of the SHAMELESS banking fiascoes, the unemployment rates, and continuing home foreclosures. This consciousness was personal for me because my sister “occupied” a banking district of a major city. She shared some humiliating experiences that involved name calling. I know that I would not have been able to endure her experience. Therefore I could not rationalize occupying the Target parking lot for the sake of consumerism. This quote from the Huffington Post sums it up: “Only in America would we violently trample each other to get the best deal less than 24 hours after giving thanks for what we already have” (Jordan Zakarin).

But some good things came out of all of this consciousness (sadly the new buzz word/commodity)—an awareness that I hope will last beyond Kwanzaa and into 2012:

• An article, “5 Good Reasons To Buy Nothing & Avoid Holiday Shopping Completely” Black Enterprise
• I was elated to see this list of AfAm artists on Etsy recognized in the Huffington Post, bringing awareness to some of talent in our community!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I l♥ve to hear from my readers:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...