Saturday, November 5, 2011

WHAT I WORE TODAY: Inspiration for Days to Come

The Middleton girls are all the rage, but I’m not so ready to forfeit my fusion lineage. Africans populated England and influenced the culture. Surprise, surprise! They still do…These floral patterns are a definite twist on the buttoned-up styles of the past.

I scored this dress on clearance this summer at Torrid & it’s currently sold out. The purse is from Forever 21. When I saw these cotton-crochet gloves at David’s Bridal, I thought they were simply Divine. They immediately became a part of my growing collection because they reminded me of the dainty crocheted doilies in my Mum’s Victorian-inspired dining room. The books are two inspired reads by Jan Marsh and Walter Dean Meyers to learn more about the Afro-British presence in the Victorian era. Cheers!
These floral patterns are a definite twist on the buttoned-up styles of the past.
I scored this dress on clearance this summer at Torrid & it’s currently sold out. The purse is from Forever 21. When I saw these cotton-crochet gloves at David’s Bridal, I thought they were simply Divine. They immediately became a part of my growing collection because they reminded me of the dainty crocheted doilies in my Mum’s Victorian-inspired dining room. The books are two inspired reads by Jan Marsh and Walter Dean Meyers to learn more about the Afro-British presence in the Victorian era. Cheers!
 

Cape--check. Boots--check. Gloves--check.
But not a superhero in sight, unless you count my MAC Wonder Woman Lipglass




I love a Peter Pan Collar; it provides the perfect frame for my ‘fro. Diahann Carroll sports one in a vintage print (photographed by Carl Van Vechten, Library of Congress, Division of Prints and Photographs). Her wardrobe is reminiscent of her role as the subdued Myrt in Carmen Jones (1954).

With color, pattern, and a bit of quirk, I turn a prim and sweet Peter Pan Collar into a fun, eclectic mix: Forever 21 Dress, Heart Print With Peter Pan Collar | Claires Fingerless Corsette Gloves | Old Navy Yellow ¾ Length Cardigan | Maxstudio Red Sling Backs | Lucille Buckle Satchel By Vieta Handbags | Betsey Johnson Black Button Earrings | Betsey Johnson Beaded Bracelet

THE FOUNDATION: Denim Dress with Sweetheart Neckline, Forever 21. Blouse, Tucker for Target. DAY: Drive Me Daisy Earrings, ModCloth. Cardigan, The Limited. Beaded Bracelet Forever 21 Patent Purple Tote, Maxx New York. EVENING: Camouflage-print Tote, Forever 21. Boots, Express. Capelet, American Eagle Outfitters


No comments:

Post a Comment

I l♥ve to hear from my readers:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...