Friday, December 9, 2011

AN ART NERD'S NIGHT IN


Tonight I'll be home watching my DVD set of The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency with the illustrious Jill Scott as Precious Ramotswe.

PLOT: Precious leaves the past and the countryside of Botswana behind to start a detective agency in Gaborone after her father's death. She uses the monetary gifts and priceless lessons that her father has given her to become the best detective in the region.


The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency has always been one of my favorite shows but I identified with the Precious character more after my Mum passed away. In one episode she says, "When an esteemed loved one dies, she becomes an ancestor. Those she left behind can depend on her wisdom and guidance if they honor her by leading a successful, productive being, living to one's full, god-given potential." Of course I feverishly began to strategically plan my goals, thinking about the lessons that my mother and grandmothers taught me...


Another reason that I identify with Precious is because of her penchant for unconscious munching as she sits in contemplation. It became a nasty habit of mine in graduate school. One of her clients calls her "the fattest tart in Gaborone," and in another case she is taunted by the women that she is investigating at a pageant...my inner critic has gotten to me--just a smoothie for me tonight.

I hope that your night out or in is a great one!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I l♥ve to hear from my readers:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...