Thursday, December 1, 2011

Revolutionary Rosa (with the Flower in Her Hair), December 1, 1955


For some reason afros (a la Angela Davis) represent the African American revolution for civil rights. However, I beg to differ. Rosa Parks was a revolutionary. She didn't wear an afro, but a flower in her hair. I will never wear another flower again without thinking about the message it's sending--even if it is covert.

 Eyes on the Prize was a wonderful documentary, but it created a lot of misconceptions about the nature and chronolorgy of the Civil Rights Movement. Rosa Parks did not just decide that she was too tired one day. She decided to revolt, but my children are still being taught that narrative in school. What is there to gain by perpetuating such a falsity?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I l♥ve to hear from my readers:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...